Sunday, October 25, 2009
Modern-day farms
As the world is ever-changing and populations growing, there has become a need for those of us more creative and problem-solving minded to come up with ideas to better utilize natural resources for the benefit of all mankind. A wind farm seems to be a good idea. The natural resource of wind cannot be exhausted; it is up to mother nature whether the wind blows or does not. For the individuals who have devised a way to harness that wind and convert it into energy that can be utilized to power many other things, I applaud them. Today's society has become so dependent on electricity and so many other things, I do think it is important that resources are used that will not eventually be devoured by our greed. Others may not agree, as the wind turbines dotted through the landscape, although well-intentioned, can be viewed as an "eyesore" to many citizens. I believe that farms such as this will continue to thrive and grow as much as consumerism seems to continually thrive and grow, but there will be many who say "I don't want this in my backyard" or "I don't want this where I can see it". But, this is the case with many things such as halfway houses or prisons. The majority of society agrees that these are needed things, but no one wants them "in their backyard" or in areas where they will have to see them. Is this somewhat selfish? Yes. Do I feel the same way, that these are needed but that I don't want to live next door to them? Yes. I'm not sure there is an absolute solution to this issue, but somehow, a compromise will need to be reached that is acceptable to the majority. Although I have not done any research into the cost to implement farms such as this, I would imagine that they are rather pricey. However, with the energy that is generated by wind, I would imagine they pay for themselves within a short amount of time as that energy is sold to power stations for supply to the public, who in turn pays a fee for the use of said power. I would hope that this type of energy would be more cost-effective for the consumer, although I do not know that for certain.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment